Monday, January 9, 2012

Media Monday - Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead

Wa-hoo!  It feels good to be back on my normal blogging schedule.  It also feels good to have a cup of coffee beside me.  Coincidence?  I don't think so.  I'm enjoying this once daily dose of caffeine allowed to my pregnant self 'to the last drop'.  But back to the task at hand.

It's Monday, and that means today I bring you a review of something I found online (Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, or other websites) that caught my interest.  Today's selection is a movie Scott and I watched back in November, which made such an impact that it caused us to go out and drop some money on a specialty kitchen appliance.  And you know that when these cheap skates spend money, it's not without conviction.



This documentary kept popping up on my Netflix recommended queue (it's also on Hulu), and I passed it over time and again.  The cover and title are pretty ridiculous.  I mean, those grey boxers don't inspire a lot of confidence.  But I finally decided to give it a try and, as usual, Netflix was right on in its recommendations.

'Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead' chronicles one man's journey to health and wellness through a self imposed, 60 day juice fast.  He doesn't drink your typical grocery store apple juice.  Joe Cross, with the help of a juicer, makes his own nutrient-packed juice from fresh fruits and veggies.  Starting at 301 lbs and suffering from a chronic disease, Joe takes a road trip across America subsiding only on his home made juice, and the results at the end of 60 days are no less than jaw dropping.

I won't give away the ending, but along the way Joe meets a truck driver, morbidly obese and desperate, who decides to join Joe in his own juice fast.  The two men's valiant battle to regain their bodies, and lives, is nothing short of inspiring.

I highly recommend watching this film.  It will inspire and educate you about the benefits of healthy eating, juicing in particular.  I just bought my own juicer, and have been juicing every day as part of my New Year's goal to eat more whole foods.  It's amazing.  A glass of fresh juice peps me up like a cup of coffee, stays with me, and revs up my energy for hours.  Of course I'm not doing a juice fast right now, being pregnant, but hope to do a short one in the summer to detox my body (if it's OK while nursing).

SO.  Just give this documentary a try, even if the cover looks silly and the idea of an entire movie about juice even sillier.  You won't be disappointed.

1 comment:

  1. With bistroMD you know that you will not only get tasty meals, but that every meal and every day in bistroMD's weight loss programs will be balanced to bistroMD's custom nutritional platform to help promote healthy diets.

    STEP 1 - Select one of the weight loss plans for 5 to 7 days of meals.
    STEP 2 - Take a look at your menu in advance and choose the meals you prefer for each day and week.
    STEP 3 - Order your diet program.
    STEP 4 - Your entrees are sent to your home.

    ORDER NOW - delivered to your home.

    ReplyDelete